Senior Civil Engineer (Tunnelling)
• Assist the Senior Project Manager in the delivery of all project requirements for Ashghal managed Project(s)
• Conversant with the design and construction of underground / civil engineering structures including tunnels and shafts and manage Consultants and Contractors on behalf of the Authority
• Provide advice to superiors, contractors and sub‐contractors on construction issues based on extensive experience
• Drive the delivery programme and support safety and quality objectives
Skills and Competencies
• Minimum 18 years’ post graduate experience in deep tunnels. Experience in the marine environment preferred.
• Postgraduate geotechnical/engineering geology training at master’s level (minimum) preferred with emphasis on the rock mechanics and weak rock engineering.
• Experienced professional who can manage and coordinate specialized construction activities supported by a team of moderate size and complexity
• Demonstrable track record in the delivery of large multidisciplinary Projects involving civil, hydraulic, mechanical and electrical works.
• In‐depth knowledge of design procedures in underground construction including knowledge of international codes, standards, and guidelines.
• Technically proficient in all aspects of tunnelling and shaft support systems (both cast in‐situ and precast linings) interfacing and interpreting
• MEP/architectural/structural engineering requirements
• Effective in building good working relationships within complex organisational structures, both internally and with various Project stakeholders
• Ensure and review compliance related to Projects
• Support Senior Management in setting a strategy and executing plans to successfully delivery the Authority’s engineering requirements
• Assist superiors in delegating work to subordinates, coordination of work with sub‐ contractors / suppliers and monitor works for compliance with required specification standards
• Responsible for ensuring that Projects assigned are completed on time, within budget and claims are prepared promptly. Material wastage to be monitored and minimised.
• Assist superiors directly in all matters related to tunnelling works in delivering the Project on time, within budget and in a safe manner
• Attend to technical matters at site by developing solutions to problems with the application of engineering concepts, practices and techniques
• Close coordination with sub‐contractors, supervisors, surveyors, laboratory personnel, foremen and to ensure effective teamwork
• Liaise with consultants on the day‐to‐day inspection on site
• Prepare daily / weekly and monthly site reports and submit to the planning department
Qualifications & Criteria
• University degree from a recognised university in an appropriate field such as Civil Engineering or equivalent
• Evidence of suitable professionally qualified in CEng or equivalent
• Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
• Driver’s Licence
• Master’s degree in a relevant field
• Arabic language skills
• Experience of working in Qatar and / or the Gulf region